Protocol for stoma's studies

Home Forums Requests for Protocols Protocol for stoma's studies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Someone knows where can I found a protocol to make leaf’s fingerprints? I used nail polish, but it doesn’t work in leaf with abundant hair. I’m trying to see stoma.

Thanks for your time.

hi,

After a lot of trials I finally create a successful protocol to see stomas in leaf with abundant hair.

I can send you the reference if someone need it.

admin

> hi,
    >
    > After a lot of trials I finally create a successful protocol to see stomas in leaf with abundant hair.
    >
    > I can send you the reference if someone need it.

Nice work Pablo. We’d love for you to post your protocol to our site.

http://prometheuswiki.publish.csiro.au/tiki-page.php?pageName=Checklist

Great to hear you’ve found a protocol Pablo – it’d be great if you could share it on PrometheusWiki, perhaps in combination with the suggestions below. Here are some suggestions from a few of our Editors:

From Andr�s Baresch of the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (via editor Lou Santiago).

“as a starting point and to help the person asking the question a short description of what I have done:

On fresh leaves:
    Peeling hairs with scotch tape (can take several attempts until hairs start to detach) then using nail polish to generate a first imprint that will eliminate remaining hairs (sometimes this nail polish gets firmly attached, it often comes out after several tries with scotch tape), this procedure is followed by the final peel that should come out clean and easy.
    In some cases there is a direction by which hairs fall easier so is important to try from several angles to pull of the scotch tape.

I have been able to eliminate the cuticle (bearing hairs) of Cecropia peltata (after treated with NaOH 10%) leaving it clean for venation images, I could try to see if is still possible to do an imprint with polish over that surface.”

From Lawren Sack:
    “Recommend trying to shave the leaf and use nailpolish first. Then, could try dental epoxy impressions and using nailpolish on that. Failing that, can try epidermal peels from semi-macerated leaves and looking at the stomata from the inside. That can be a real pain. At that stage, looking for an SEM and looking at shaved and unshaved leaves is the way forward…”

Hope this is helpful!

The protocol I use is similar to Lawren technique. I could’nt use nailpolish in a shave leaf, maybe because the epidermis was damage afer the shave and the nailpolish wasn’t able to get a imprint of it. I made a dental epoxy impressions and the results are successful.

I read the “protocol submission template”. I’m writing the protocol but I want to add some picture of the process so everyone could see the results and the benefits. I will upload it as soon as I can.

Thanks for your support.

A new protocol on Prometheus Wiki “Making leaf surface imprints” does just what you need! Have a look at: http://prometheuswiki.publish.csiro.au/tiki-index.php?page=Making+leaf+surface+imprints

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.